Alloy wheels are a popular choice among car enthusiasts and for a good reason. They offer a sleek, stylish appearance and enhanced performance over their steel counterparts. However, like any automotive component, alloy wheels are susceptible to damage, with corrosion being one of the most common issues.
The first step to repairing corroded allow wheels is to recognize the type of alloy corrosion. Alloy corrosion, such as surface and clear coat corrosion, isn’t very severe and doesn’t necessarily require advanced techniques.
This blog will explore whether it’s possible to repair corroded alloy wheels. We also discuss how RimPerfection, the first full-service wheel repair business in Toronto and the GTA, can assist you in restoring your wheels to their former glory.
Understanding Corroded Alloy Wheels
Corrosion is the gradual deterioration of metal due to chemical environmental reactions. Alloy wheels, typically made from a combination of aluminum and other metals, are not immune to corrosion.
When you expose alloy to elements such as moisture, road salt, and environmental pollutants, the protective layers on your alloy wheels can degrade, leading to corrosion.
Common Types of Alloy Wheel Corrosion
Here are some common types of alloy wheel corrosion
- Surface Corrosion: This is the least severe form of corrosion and often appears as minor spots or stains on the wheel’s surface. You can remove surface corrosion from alloy wheels with a thorough cleaning and polishing.
- Pitting Corrosion: Pitting corrosion is more severe, resulting in small holes or pits on the wheel’s surface. This type of corrosion can be challenging to repair and may require more advanced techniques.
- Galvanic Corrosion: Galvanic corrosion occurs when dissimilar metals come into contact, causing a chemical reaction. It can be a significant concern if the wheels have been mounted improperly or if different metals are present in the wheel.
- Clear Coat Corrosion: Some alloy wheels have a clear protective coating. When this clear coat begins to peel or deteriorate, it can expose the underlying metal to corrosion.
Related Article: Different Types Of Wheel Refinishing Processes
Can You Repair Corroded Alloy Wheels?
The ability to repair corroded alloy wheels largely depends on the extent and severity of the corrosion. Here are some general guidelines:
- Surface Corrosion: As mentioned earlier, you can often resolve minor surface corrosion with cleaning and polishing. You can use dedicated wheel cleaners, mild abrasives, and protective coatings to prevent future corrosion.
- Pitting Corrosion: Repairing pitting corrosion is more challenging and may involve sanding or machining to smooth out the affected areas. Once you level the pits, refinishing and repainting the wheel may be necessary.
- Galvanic Corrosion: You can prevent this corrosion by ensuring that wheels and components are of compatible metals. Once galvanic corrosion occurs, it can be challenging to repair, often requiring the replacement of the affected parts.
- Clear Coat Corrosion: If the clear coat is peeling or deteriorating, you can remove and replace it with a new clear coat to protect the alloy wheel’s surface.
How RimPerfection Can Help
RimPerfection is the first full-service wheel repair business in Toronto and the GTA, specializing in rim and alloy wheel repair. We have the expertise, equipment, and experience to refinish corroded alloy wheels.
Here’s how we can assist you in repairing your corroded alloy wheels:
- Professional Inspection: RimPerfection begins by thoroughly inspecting the condition of your alloy wheels to determine the extent of corrosion and damage. This allows us to assess accurately and recommend the most suitable repair options.
- Specialized Equipment: RimPerfection is equipped with state-of-the-art machinery and tools, such as CNC lathes, to address different types of corrosion, including pitting corrosion. We can machine the wheels to remove pits and imperfections, restoring the surface to its original condition.
- Expert Refinishing: Once we address the corrosion, RimPerfection’s skilled technicians can refinish your alloy wheels, ensuring they look as good as new. This includes color matching, clear coating, and polishing to enhance their appearance.
- Protective Coatings: RimPerfection can apply high-quality protective coatings to your alloy wheels to prevent future corrosion. These coatings act as a barrier, shielding the wheels from environmental elements and ensuring longevity.
- Customization: RimPerfection also offers customization services, allowing you to choose unique finishes and colors to match your style and preferences.
Advantages of Choosing RimPerfection in Toronto and the GTA
RimPerfection serves Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area, providing comprehensive rim repair and alloy wheel repair services. Whether you drive a luxury car, a sports car, or a daily commuter, our team is dedicated to helping you maintain the appearance and performance of your alloy wheels.
Here are some reasons to choose RimPerfection
- Expertise: With a team of experienced professionals, RimPerfection has the knowledge and skills to repair a wide range of wheel issues, including corrosion.
- State-of-the-Art Facilities: RimPerfection’s facilities are equipped with the latest technology and machinery, ensuring precise and effective wheel repairs.
- Fast Turnaround: We understand the importance of swiftly getting your wheels back on the road. RimPerfection offers quick turnaround times to minimize inconvenience.
- Cost-Effective: Refurbishing corroded alloy wheels is often more cost-effective than replacing them. RimPerfection provides competitive pricing while maintaining high-quality results.
Related Article: The Benefits Of Alloy Wheel Repair: Why It’s Worth The Investment
Don’t Compromise on Your Vehicle’s Aesthetics
Corroded alloy wheels can be an eyesore and a potential safety hazard. While you can repair minor surface alloy wheel corrosion with DIY methods, more severe cases of corrosion may require professional attention.
RimPerfection, in Toronto and the GTA, offers a wide range of services to address different types of corrosion and bring your alloy wheels back to life. Don’t let corroded wheels compromise your vehicle’s aesthetics and performance—trust RimPerfection to get the job done. Reach out to us at 1-855-746-5629.